Home Page | LAD College for Women

management
departments
campu
admissionrul
admissionsched   
admissionlist
adminstaff
abungp
contact

 

The Lady Amritbai Daga College for Women of Arts, Commerce & Science and Smt. Ratnidevi Purohit College of Home Science and Home Science Technology is a premier Women’s College in Central India in existence for the last 75 years with its goal centered around women’s progress in educational, social and cultural fields established at a time when it was a women’s college was considered a path breaking venture.
On April 21, 1932 a citizens meeting was convened in which ‘Women’s Education Society’ was formed with Rao Bahadur
M.B. Kinkhede as its Founder President Shri Y.M. Pathak as Founder Secretary and Smt. Ramabai Tambe as the First Principal of the college. The Constitution of the Society was drawn up by Justice W.R. Puranik and Shri T.J. Kedar. Sir Sorabji B. Mohta was the founder Chairman of the Executive Committee of the society.The College was formally inaugurated by Honorable Justice Dr. M.B. Niyogi, C.I.E., the then Vice Chancellor of Nagpur University and later the President of Women’s Education Society on 11th July 1932. The college was affiliated to Nagpur University on 1st July 1935 as “Central College for Women” with Miss Shanti Rangarao as the Principal and Lady Gowan (wife of His Excellency, the then Governor of Central Provinces and Berar Sir Hyde Clarendon Gowan) as President. The Institution owes its present status to the illustrious and equally commendable dedication of luminaries who left their mark in the annals of the college. They were besides Rao Bahadur M.B. Kinkhede and Lady Gowan, Lady Kalhum Wylie (wife of His Excellency, Governor of Central Provinces & Berar, Sir Francis Verner Wylie), Lady Muriel Twynam, (Wife of His Excellency, Governor of Central Provinces & Berar, Sir Henry Twynam), and Smt. A. Pakwasa (wife of His Excellency, Governor of Central Provinces & Berar, Shri Mangaldas Mancharam Pakwasa).Among the earliest to be associated with the college were Khan Bahadur M.E.R. Malak, Mrs. Stent, the then Vice Chancellors of Nagpur University viz : Jusitice Dr. M. B. Niyogi (1932 to 1936), Dr. Sir Hari Singh Gaur (1936 to 1938), Mr. T. J. Kedar (1938 to 1941) and Hon Justice W. R. Puranik (1944 to 1947), Justice M. Hidayatullah, Justice Kaushalendra Rao, Justice S. P. Kotwal, Justice Y. S. Tambe, Shri S. H. Battliwala, Hon. Sir M. B. Dadabhoy, Mrs. Macfadyen, Shri S. D. Saklatwala, Nawab Mir Mehdi Ali Khan, Lady Kusum Trivedi, Shri A. D. Mani (M.P.). At a later date justice N. L. Abhyankar and Justice B. A. Masodkar to name a few were among the many other distinguished personalities.Presently, the society has as its President a legal luminary and former Advocate General of Maharashtra, Shri V. R. Manohar.At the establishment stage the College was given financial support by the trustees of Late Sir Dorabji Tata of Bombay. His Excellency Sir Hyde C. Gowan, the then Governor of Central Provinces also gave financial help to the college and Lady Gowan donated books to the college Library. The college continued to be patronized by philanthropists. Among them His Exalted Excellency the Nizam of Hyderabad rendered generous support to the college in the form of endowments. It also received donations from Mr. Bhulabhai Desai for the development of the library.The college known as “College of Arts for Women” from 1932 to 1935 and as “Central College for Women” from 1935, moved to its own building in 1941 on a sprawling campus of 26 acres of land donated by the M.P. Government at Seminary Hills.
In 1942, Sir Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan delivered his inaugural address and in 1949, Sir Rajgopalachari inaugurated the first lecture room of the college.In 1952, the name of the college was changed to “Lady Amritbai Daga College for Women” in memory of the mother of Seth Badridas Daga, whose munificent donation of
Rs. 1.50 Lacs matched by the M.P. Government enabled the Management to complete the main college and residence building at Seminary Hills Campus.In 1978, Shri B. L. Purohit donated Rs. 17.5 Lacs to the Society and Smt. Ratnidevi Purohit College of Home Science Technology (named after the mother of Shri Banwarilalji Purohit) was established. This was merged with L.A.D. College for Women in the year 1981-82. The name of the college is now “Lady Amritbai Daga College for Women of Arts, Commerce & Science and Smt. Ratnidevi Purohit College of Home Science and Home Science Technology”.In 1992, Shri P. R. Mundle donated Rs. 7.50 Lacs to start a Department of Architecture in memory of his mother Smt. Manoramabai Mundle. In 2006 Mrs. A. P. Mundle donated an amount of Rs. 10.01 Lacs towards elevation of existing B. Arch. Department to the status of an independent college of Architecture and starting of M. Arch. from the session 2007-2008.The Lady Amritbai Daga College for Women of Arts, Commerce & Science and Smt. Ratnidevi Purohit College of Home Science and Home Science Technologyis a premier Women’s College in Central India in existence for the last 75 years with its goal centered around women’s progress in educational, social and cultural fields established at a time when it was a women’s college was considered a path breaking venture.On April 21, 1932 a citizens meeting was convened in which ‘Women’s Education Society’ was formed with Rao Bahadur M.B. Kinkhede as its Founder President Shri Y.M. Pathak as Founder Secretary and Smt. Ramabai Tambe as the First Principal of the college. The Constitution of the Society was drawn up by Justice W.R. Puranik and Shri T.J. Kedar. Sir Sorabji B. Mohta was the founder Chairman of the Executive Committee of the society.The College was formally inaugurated by Honorable Justice Dr. M.B. Niyogi, C.I.E., the then Vice Chancellor of Nagpur University and later the President of Women’s Education Society on 11th July 1932. The college was affiliated to Nagpur University on 1st July 1935 as “Central College for Women” with Miss Shanti Rangarao as the Principal and Lady Gowan (wife of His Excellency, the then Governor of Central Provinces and Berar Sir Hyde Clarendon Gowan) as President. The Institution owes its present status to the illustrious and equally commendable dedication of luminaries who left their mark in the annals of the college. They were besides Rao Bahadur M.B. Kinkhede and Lady Gowan, Lady Kalhum Wylie (wife of His Excellency, Governor of Central Provinces & Berar, Sir Francis Verner Wylie), Lady Muriel Twynam, (Wife of His Excellency, Governor of Central Provinces & Berar, Sir Henry Twynam), and Smt. A. Pakwasa (wife of His Excellency, Governor of Central Provinces & Berar, Shri Mangaldas Mancharam Pakwasa).

Among the earliest to be associated with the college were Khan Bahadur M.E.R. Malak, Mrs. Stent, the then Vice Chancellors of Nagpur University viz : Jusitice Dr. M. B. Niyogi (1932 to 1936), Dr. Sir Hari Singh Gaur (1936 to 1938), Mr. T. J. Kedar (1938 to 1941) and Hon Justice W. R. Puranik (1944 to 1947), Justice M. Hidayatullah, Justice Kaushalendra Rao, Justice S. P. Kotwal, Justice Y. S. Tambe, Shri S. H. Battliwala, Hon. Sir M. B. Dadabhoy, Mrs. Macfadyen, Shri S. D. Saklatwala, Nawab Mir Mehdi Ali Khan, Lady Kusum Trivedi, Shri A. D. Mani (M.P.). At a later date justice N. L. Abhyankar and Justice B. A. Masodkar to name a few were among the many other distinguished personalities.

Presently, the society has as its President a legal luminary and former Advocate General of Maharashtra, Shri V. R. Manohar.

At the establishment stage the College was given financial support by the trustees of Late Sir Dorabji Tata of Bombay. His Excellency Sir Hyde C. Gowan, the then Governor of Central Provinces also gave financial help to the college and Lady Gowan donated books to the college Library. The college continued to be patronized by philanthropists. Among them His Exalted Excellency the Nizam of Hyderabad rendered generous support to the college in the form of endowments. It also received donations from Mr. Bhulabhai Desai for the development of the library.

The college known as “College of Arts for Women” from 1932 to 1935 and as “Central College for Women” from 1935, moved to its own building in 1941 on a sprawling campus of 26 acres of land donated by the M.P. Government at Seminary Hills.

In 1942, Sir Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan delivered his inaugural address and in 1949, Sir Rajgopalachari inaugurated the first lecture room of the college.

In 1952, the name of the college was changed to “Lady Amritbai Daga College for Women” in memory of the mother of Seth Badridas Daga, whose munificent donation of
Rs. 1.50 Lacs matched by the M.P. Government enabled the Management to complete the main college and residence building at Seminary Hills Campus.

In 1978, Shri B. L. Purohit donated Rs. 17.5 Lacs to the Society and Smt. Ratnidevi Purohit College of Home Science Technology (named after the mother of Shri Banwarilalji Purohit) was established. This was merged with L.A.D. College for Women in the year 1981-82. The name of the college is now “Lady Amritbai Daga College for Women of Arts, Commerce & Science and Smt. Ratnidevi Purohit College of Home Science and Home Science Technology”.

In 1992, Shri P. R. Mundle donated Rs. 7.50 Lacs to start a Department of Architecture in memory of his mother Smt. Manoramabai Mundle. In 2006 Mrs. A. P. Mundle donated an amount of Rs. 10.01 Lacs towards elevation of existing B. Arch. Department to the status of an independent college of Architecture and starting of M. Arch. from the session 2007-2008.

A further donation of five lakhs was received from Smt. Meena Deshmukh in memory of her husband late Shri. Digambar Jaiwant Deshmukh. Recently Shri P. W. Barlingay also donated Rs. Five Lakhs towards the development of the department of Biotechnolobgy which is now named as “Ramabai Barlingay School of Biotechnology” in memory of his mother Smt. Ramabai Barlingay.

Today the versatility of the range of its programmes is its strength. The original strength was of 23 students and presently the college has more than 5000 students on roll in the junior and senior college. The handful of staff, is now approximately 300 involved in the faculties of Arts, Science, Home Science, Home Science Technology, Commerce and Engineering and Technology.

The institution has completed 75 years of sustained progress in the field of empowering women through access to higher education. Poised for further growth and expansion in its platinum year, the college will introduce non conventional, innovative courses. These courses are designed to support self help initiatives and will go beyond the traditional core degree requirements. It will also take up community imperatives to fulfill academic social responsibilities through training initiatives in the four villages adopted by the college.

The college started initially with only the Arts faculty, today it offers the following courses in different faculties at under graduate, post graduate and junior college level.

  JUNIOR COLLEGE  
  Faculty Year Of Estt.
1. Arts 1932-33
2. Home Science 1956-57
3. Science 1972-73
4. Junior College (Arts, Science, Home Science & Commerce) 1975-76
     
5. Home Science (Technology) (Courses of study : Bachelor of Cosmetic Technology, Bachelor of Applied Electronics, Bachelor of Hotel Management and Catering Technology & Bachelor of Interior Design) 1979-80
6. Commerce 1981-82
7. Engineering & Technology (B. Arch.) 1993-94
8. U.G.C. Vocational Subject ‘Biotechnology’ at under graduate (B.Sc. Level) 1997-98
9. Bachelor of Business Administation (B.B.A.) 2006-07
  Post Graduate Courses of Study  
     
1 Home Economics(M.A) 1979-80
2 Political Science(M.A.) 1979-80
3 Human Devlopment(M.Sc.H.Sc) 1981-82
4 Home Science Extension(Msc.HSc) 1986-87
5 Cosmetic Technology(M.Tech) 1997-98
6 Hospital Management(M.Tech) 1997-98
7 Master of Commerce(M.Com) 1999-2000
Accredited by NAAC Banglore as “A” Grade

Established in 1932. Affiliated to Nagpur University.
Address:- LAD College for Women, ShankarNagar, Nagpur 440010
Phone : ShankarNagar :-246623,247192
Seminary Hills :- 510208